1.31.2011

Oh Facebook.

I am debating deleting my Facebook.

I think my relationship with FB is unhealthy 87% of the time.

I stalk pictures of people I don't really know, for no apparent reason.
And posting my own pictures sometimes feels like a contest (Im not really sure who I am competing against) of who has the best life.
Who has the cuter boyfriend, the crazy fun experiences, the cutest clothes, the most friends, the  most extravagant vacations.
Pictures become less about the moment, and the people and more about proving to someone, or maybe even proving to yourself, that you are happy.

A family friend once told my mom, from my pictures it looked like I have the most happy and fun life he's ever seen.
No doubt I am blessed. But is the reality of FB really reality?

Most days I feel like Facebook is just a way to either cut others down, or cut our selves down because we don't measure up to others.
A way to exercise pride and vanity.
I feel like I would feel a little less worldy the day I deleted my profile.

BUT, sometimes Facebook is healthy.
It is fun to look at pictures of my best friends, and family that I don't get to see as often.
It is nice to have another way to communicate with people I am away from.
It is sometimes nice to be able to share parts of my life with friends and family who are curious to know what I am up to.

So, what to do, what to do?!?!

6 comments:

  1. Go on a FB fast! Whenever I find myself being addicted or stalking too much, I cut it out completely for a month. Then by the time the month is over and you come back, you're not as interested any more. True story. Try it!! The blog world is better anyway...I never put pictures on FB anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as I can continue to stalk you somewhere... I will be content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am equally addicted. Believe it or not I can experience the same feelings that you have expressed. Those are feelings that you probably need to manage even outside of Facebook. Objectification of other people based on very little information can be very damaging to yourself. It's probably best to figure out how to manage even with a Facebook account. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. I have the same thoughts about FB. I want to ask Mike to change my password and not tell me for a while so I can't get on...and see how it goes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook is a tool (and not in the bad way). Use it to help remember the good times and good friends. Mom and I both like being able to see your pictures and would miss it if you never updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post. I read it after I have been sitting here stalking FB mindlessly. I agree that it is a great way to communicate and stay up to date with our friends and family. But I also see how it can be a sort of competition...I always seem to covet after looking through peoples pictures. No bueno! I think I should cut back too! But definitely don't delete it!

    ReplyDelete