6.02.2011

To The Class of 2011

Today is graduation for many of the friends I left behind at Timpanogos.
Congrats you guys, you got through high school!!!

Whether they were the worst, or the best years of your life, I want to give you all a little advice for your next step.

I just finished the adventure that you are about to embark on. 
I didn't do everything perfectly, learn from me. 
But I did do a lot of things right, follow me. 


1. Don't peak in high school. 
Don't let high school be the best years of your life. Decide today that whatever you are doing next, you are going to be better, you are going to work harder, and play even harder than that.

2. No matter how you feel, get up, get dressed and show up.
I might have stole that from a list Alysha shared with me, but it stuck with me.
No matter how bad you don't want to go to class, how badly you don't want to answer the phone call, reply to the text, go on the date, to the game, to the dance, the party, get up, get dressed, and show up. And my mom always adds, "If you're going to bother showing up, then show up big." So go ready to learn, wear a fabulous outfit, and an even more fabulous attitude. I can promise you, you will never regret following this rule. In fact, choosing to ignore this advice will bring the biggest regrets of all. 

3. Find Balance
This is the most difficult, if it's even possible, but making a conscious effort at trying to be balanced will leave you better off than if you don't try at all. You have to find a balance that works for you, and it won't be the same as anyone else's. Make time for yourself, for your roommates, for your family, for your lover, for your old friends, your new friends, make time for work, and for your school work. Discover how you can be completely happy, and fulfilled. Don't let school overwhelm you, your lover drown you, your friends control you, or your family pressure you. There is a balance, find it. 


Those are the big three for me. There are a lot more.. 
keep your body healthy, it matters more than you might think. ALWAYS be nice. Include others. Get good grades. Date. Grow up. Have fun. Don't burn bridges. Buy a laptop. Do what you are supposed to do, don't make someone else do it for you. Take pictures and write it down {start a blog}. 
The list could go on and on, but the three I chose are all encompassing, what I wish I knew a year ago, and what I'm still trying to master. 



Congrats class of 2011. It only gets better from here,
 if that's what you want.

Love,
Someone who was exactly where you are one year ago.
Time flies. 


1 comment: